Friday, July 19, 2013

Finding Time

As long as I can remember, this old clock has been in my parents' home.  I never paid much attention to it.  There's nothing special or unique about it and it rarely displayed the correct time.



Time for Random Thoughts:

1.  I never knew how much my DH liked this clock until it appeared in our house one day.

Look what your mother gave me!

     It was a treasure to him.

2.  Now he wants it repaired.  It's not easy to find someone who can repair an old clock.  The fellow we found was a bomb expert in the army.  The inner workings of a clock are intricate and similar to those of bombs.  It's slow and skillful work.



3.  The clock was in the shop for months.  I was beginning to think it would never return.  When it finally did my DH faithfully followed the detailed instructions for winding and setting the clock.  It had to be done every 7 days.


4.  One day he asked me about the history of the clock.  I had no idea how it came to be in my mother's possession.  So he asked her on our next visit.

Her story:   She was walking down the street one day and it was sitting in the trash so she brought it home.  That was over 60 years ago.  I think she had that clock longer than any other piece of furniture or decorative accessory.

Now I can understand why people say I am just like my mother.  I've brought home my share of curbside finds.


5.  We've had the clock in our family room for over a year now.  It no longer works.  It chimes randomly if it chimes at all.  We have a lot of clocks in our house but you won't find two that have the same time.  Believe it or not, but we are hardly ever late for anything.

Now it's time to visit Nancy at


And Kim at  Friday Finds.

14 comments:

  1. What a neat story behind that clock! We, too, have several clocks in the house that either show the wrong time or don't work at all. With phones and computers that show the correct time, clocks may be on the wain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have always loved clocks of any sort. they are all so unique. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  3. A junker like Mom; that is the best story so far! HOT HOT HOT here in the middle of the country, 102 heat index yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great story. As the saying goes: one man's trash is another's treasure and it seems like you ended up with a great treasure!!! I enjoyed the story of the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old clocks - this one has withstood the test of time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your clock story. I have one like that. My husband fell in love with it on one of our adventurous weekends -- saw it in a shop and brought it home. It worked for a whole year or two then quit. We found someone who could fix it (we thought), but it didn't last long. I'm now trying to decide whether or not to send it to his daughter. He loved it so and I think she would appreciate it. I'll make the suggestion that they remove the works and make it battery operated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is unique and special, and there is an antique/old clock museum and atelier near us: if you go to http://musee.horlogerie-ancienne.com , their site is in english as well, just maybe? I love this story of your Mom and her find then giving this to your husband, more that he was enamoured of this gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these big old clocks- I like your mom's history of it too- random finds can become precious heirlooms!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful story about this old clock. I think it has great character. And you know what they say, "Even a broken clock is right twice a day."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes clocks are more than time keepers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great treasure and story to go along with it..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that clock! I love all clocks. And watches. Whenever there are clocks and watches on Antiques Roadshow, i am riveted, I think the inner workings are works of art. :) I have several pocket watches that don't run. I just love to have them. And i love your story of this clock's history. I have such fun with fortunate finds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous find your Mum had over 60 years ago...and them it was handed onto your DH... great story..hope it gets its Mo Jo back and starts to become regular again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love old clocks and have plenty of them - none of them work...just love the graphic quality of them! yours is wonderful - hope you treasure it! visiting from Friday Finds

    ReplyDelete