with the last red berries
and the first white snow.
Night now comes early and dawn is late. The trees are bare, having spilled their fruits on the sidewalk.
Today, November 1, the countdown of Christmas shopping days begins.
1. When the weather turns chilly soup becomes the favorite meal. Mom always made corn chowder on Fridays.
2. We had dinner down on the waterfront the other night and watched the last cruise ship of the season leave port. The fall cruises from New England to Canada have been very popular this year.
3. There have been many national news stories this week about a mystery building in San Francisco. Rumor has it that it belongs to Google . What hasn't been as widely publicized is that there is an identical building here in Portland Maine. It was brought here on a barge and appears to be made of shipping containers welded together. Workers on the project have had to sign non-disclosure agreements and the locals are abuzz about it.
It is thought to be a floating data center for Google. It would be located 3 - 7 miles offshore and ocean waters would be used to cool the servers and waves for energy. Use of salt water could be problematic but surmountable.
4. Coincidentally , the salt water problem mentioned above is something I am familiar with. My high school science project was converting salt water - Hydro Electronics. Now, I must say that I was terrible in science - my worst subject. If it wasn't for my father and boyfriend I never would have gotten through that project. The best part was I actually won first prize. Now that was a shocker. As a result I had to represent our school at the state-wide fair held at MIT. It was an event that would go through the evening and required you to be present to explain your project. It was also the night of my Senior Prom and I had a gorgeous dress at home waiting for me. What a dilemma ! Prom or Science? What would you do? Stay or Go? What do you think I did?
5. I hate that it gets dark so early.
Sharing my thought today with Nancy for Random 5 Friday and Kim's Friday Finds.